Wednesday, April 27, 2011

There are no words

30! Just a number right? True, but what that number represents to me is hard to put into words, but I will try!
30 years ago I met Vanessa Austin. She was my assigned mission trainer in the Florida Tampa mission. I was the "greenie"! We spent 3 months as companions, and have spent the past 30 years being family! Mark and I along with Vanessa and her husband Michael Reid.......all served in the same mission. (there is a great and REALLY long story there!)

Mike and Vanessa brought their oldest daughter Selena to visit us when she was just a few months old in California. Over the years we have spent Christmas in Disneyland, Thanksgiving in both Utah and Arizona, 4th of July in Utah, many other visits back and forth for weddings, parties and many other things. My children don't have many cousins close in proximity, or age, so they too have many many happy memories of time spent with the Reid "cousins"! One of the most enjoyable things I have ever done was going on the "RED ROCK RIDE" with Vanessa! We share a love and passion for horses, and had the chance to spend almost a year sharing that love here in Utah. Then we decided to go on a week long adventure together. We spent a week riding the majestic canyons of Southern Utah on Mules. I will tell you that unless you have been into the canyons like we were....you have only glanced at them! It is a treasured memory, the experiences we shared.
This past weekend The Reid family minus 2.....spent Easter weekend with us. They came for Russ's graduation from BYU, and to take Selena home:(
(sigh....tear....sad)
Nikki and her Husband and 2 kids Madison and Tanner, kept us entertained for the weekend! It was loud, crazy WONDERFUL chaos!! Nikki chose outfits, did hair and makeup for Kayla's senior pictures....which Selena took (Sorenson-Studios on facebook is a must see). We have been involved with some of the choicest and most wonderful moments life has to offer together. We have experienced the most painful moments of our collective lives as well. I heard a saying once..."You may well forget those with whom you have laughed, but never will you forget those with whom you have cried."
As the family was getting ready to leave for home Vanessa and I just hugged and cried! I know that my life was eternally altered for good, 30 years ago, when first we met as missionaries! We love them like family, and we consider them family, and will BE that, far beyond this life.
I love you Reid family! We all do!

Many memories are centered around food, and this Easter will be no different! I had to make some cupcakes for a family in the neighborhood and of course needed to try something new! May I say that this was a HOME RUN!!!! Strawberry Colada cupcakes with fresh strawberry butttercream!!! (I think I just gleeked!) FANTASTIC!!!
I had some left over, and so when the Reid's came the first evening....I offered some to them. I wish I had a picture of Nikki's face BEFORE a sound was even able to escape! (she is as thin as a rail, so I can tell on her! I think she ate 3 straight!)It was priceless!!! They were gone so fast that I make ANOTHER batch, THAT NIGHT, and those were devoured too! This recipe will always bring sweet and tender memories of this Easter spent with the Reid Family! There are no words that can truly express the love, the happiness and joy of ties that bind hearts!

Strawberry Colada cupcakes-Christy Denney
Cupcakes
1 1/2 Cups fresh strawberries, hulled
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened,
1 1/3 Cups granulated sugar,
1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
1/4 cup well drained crushed pineapple

Frosting
1 cup butter softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla

***1) Heat oven to 350* Place papers into cupcake tins.2) put strawberries into blender and process till smooth. should be about 1 cup puree. Pour 2/3 cup puree into small bowl, stir in coconut milk, and both extracts. reserve remaining puree for frosting. 3)In medium mixing bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. set aside. In large bowl beat softened butter and sugar with mixer till light and fluffy. add whole egg and egg whites one at a time and mixing till Incorporated after each addition. on low speed alternately add flour mixture about 1/3 at a time and whet ingredients 1/2 at a time beating just till blended. stir in pineapple. 4)Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 1/2 full. 5) Bake 18-22 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly touched. Don't overbake....but dense, so make sure its not gooey in the center too! 6) Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter with mixer till light and fluffy. add powdered sugar about 1/2 at a time. stir in coconut extract, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 3 T. reserved puree, mix till just blended. 7) frost cooled cupcakes as desired. sprinkle with either regular or toasted coconut, and top with slice of fresh strawberry! TRY not to eat 2 or 3!!!!
Good luck with that!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE you Roma. Reading that made me all teary eyed. You guys are my family! I know I have that Atkin Hawaiian blood in me some where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still laughing at that you darling girl! Kiss my handsome crush for me and tell Madi to come help me make Pizza....ANYTIME!!!

    ReplyDelete